Digitalization or adaptation of systems and processes is changing how construction sites work. Over the years, digitalization has affected almost all construction processes with the implementation of construction project management. As the technological revolution enables new construction tools and products, it is also redesigning easier construction systems and models for onsite professionals.
With the increasingly changing challenges in the construction site in this modern era, shifting your compliance inspections from a manual process to a streamlined one will result in a better, more integrated, and more effective process.
So, by simply having a digital site diary using top construction management software extensions – you can record all the daily construction activities that will provide you with a database of reliable and accurate information. This supports your compliance checking and decision-making while providing evidence for any incident.
In this blog, we will go over everything there is to know about digital site diary – its importance, key points to add, and some tips that can help you reinforce your construction compliance with a more streamlined site diary.
Compliance in Construction is A Nightmare
You know firsthand that construction projects often revolve around a series of requirements, standards, and regulations. On top of that, there are contractual conditions, brief project requisites, environmental performance specifications, internal specifications, and more.
On the other hand, compliance systems typically perform regular checks according to the following types. And we are sharing the following information below to educate you more on this matter:
- Requirements: These are the vital conditions for fulfilling a project.
- Regulations: These are the rules being created by the legal authority.
- Standards: These are the specifications, characteristics, and guidelines that can be used regularly to ensure that products, materials, processes, and services are fit for the purpose.
- Recommendations: These are proposals and suggestions either from a legal body or not, and sometimes compliance is not necessary or compulsory.
The past years have opened doors for a growing adaptation of construction technologies, enabling better data collection-defined information handling that has now paved the way for automated compliance checking.
But Why Is It Important to Have a Construction Site Diary?
We already cite some answers for this, but the main reason why it is important to keep a site diary is to keep track of which tasks are completed, view what work has been done, what problems are already solved, and what issues are prevalent on specific weeks. The overall recording will provide you with a database of accurate information that supports your compliance checking.
See below for specific benefits:
- Daily logs compound as an archive of all records. These records will be useful at any time. While all verbal agreements or deals come and go, these recorded documents in your logs can always be retrieved. Best to use construction scheduling software to help you save your documents via the cloud and retrieve data anytime and anywhere.
- Get clearer insights onsite: With a site diary, you can keep daily logs of your work progress to give you clear insights on all ongoing tasks and activities. This means you can better organize all the separate plans and works with a bigger picture in mind.
- Protect your construction company against disputes: Your site diary serves as your document trail explaining significant work events. It is wise to keep all your records to protect your company better, especially when things get worse. In addition, your site diary is your sole best friend in terms of contractual, scheduling, and compliance claims.
Implementing Digitized Site Diary for Easy Compliance
Converting your construction site diary into a more streamlined one makes enforcing compliance with any construction requirements, regulations, and standards easier. Below are some basic steps to help you transition your construction site diary into a digitalized one.
- Define regulations that you can streamline and include in your site diary.
- Streamlined data models for compliance by defining required elements and properties in specified regulations.
- Define, enhance, standardize and manage your compliance-checking workflow that can be incorporated into your site diary.
- Share open standards.
- Define clear links between your contractors, suppliers, planners, subs, and their data.
- Calibrate instruments for built asset inspections.
- Define your processes and rules in tracking decisions, risks, and feedback.
- Deploy construction time tracking software for your site diary for better tracking.
- Keep spreading awareness and informing your people about the ongoing digitalization of requirements, regulations, and standards and their benefits.
Note: Gone already the days of pen and paper logging. Even word documents and excel apps do not cut anymore, making things easier to log and track. Remember this – the key to a more interactive construction site diary is the accuracy of all your recordings. Hence, manual keeping is no longer workable as it presents more risks than protecting you from potential threats.
We have already mentioned this many times, the most convenient way to streamline your site diary is with the implementation of project management software – making it easier to keep records of your daily logs and track your work progress and issues.
What to Include in Your Site Diary?
Document management and control are crucial for every construction project in this fast-paced, modern construction sector. And no matter what role you play – project manager, contract manager, estimator – everyone has a critical responsibility for the project’s overall success.
A typical site diary often includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The weather and date conditions: This type of entry of weather condition reports can help support your request for work extensions, providing evidence for work delays.
- The number of workers in different trades: Keep a record of all the onsite workers, as it will help you organize proper worker amenities specified by the law. Using crew scheduling software makes it easier for you to keep a record of your construction crews. Labor hours, locations, and work schedules are some of the most important things you can easily track using this software anytime and anywhere.
- A brief description of the completed work: Inputting your completed work and the amount of finished work ensures proper work methodologies and workflows are being implemented.
- Items of plants onsite: Plant refers to heavy machinery and equipment used in the construction onsite. Logging plant details ensure proper machinery and equipment handling, including delays, issues, and possible solutions for future reference.
There are many more to add to your site diary. Depending on what you want to track, you can add as much as possible.
Streamline Your Construction Site Diary with Pro Crew Schedule
Now, there is a lot of construction project management software that either focuses primarily on daily logs or has it all in one. If you are looking for the right one, pick a dedicated construction software like Pro Crew Schedule that can deliver a full-package digital solution to your exact needs and pain points.
Pro Crew Schedule is one of the leading construction software in the market. It has all the best features to support your site diary, enabling you to capture and track important daily construction data. From your team, materials and tools used, delivery of equipment, project status, and most especially compliance, Pro Crew Schedule helps you to manage them more efficiently and collect the necessary information.
Here are some top benefits of using Pro Crew Schedule:
- Real-time collaboration and communication: You can overcome any communication barriers using this sophisticated software which eventually boosts collaboration between your teams. It also helps improve overall construction planning and coordination of all field operations.
- Budget management and accounting: You can rely on this software for budgeting. Also, it will be easier for you to prepare estimated costs and focus more on tracking other expenses.
- Document sharing and control: With this PM software, it is easier for you to share important documents and files among your crew members and external stakeholders. Everything can be accessed anywhere and anytime.
- Resource management: Another benefit you can have upon using Pro Crew Schedule is the management of all the involved resources. Your resource management is critical in revenue estimation and cost control. So, make sure to pay attention to this area.
- Cloud-enabled storage: Everything can be saved via the cloud. Therefore, everything can be widely accessible anywhere and anytime. Despite multiple locations, all your crews can track progress and communicate the latest updates in one snap.
- User-friendly: Even your oldest construction workforce will not find it hard to use this software. We ensure it is user-friendly, easy to navigate, and easy to understand by anybody who uses it.
- Business expansion: This software has the best features that ultimately benefit your construction business. Pro Crew Schedule helps you to promote more efficient business processes, complete bigger projects faster, and significantly increase ROI.
Get started with Pro Crew Schedule today and transition to a more interactive site diary.